STATISTICALLY ORIENTED END-RESULT SPECIFICATIONS
The beginning of the trend toward statistical specifications for highway construction was probably the AASHO Road Test. A number of agencies have conducted studies on statistical concepts in highway specifications and many have used or experimented with statistically oriented end-result specifications. End-result specifications (ERS) are used instead of "recipe" or method specifications. Under ERS, an agency monitors the contractor's control of the process that produces a material or item of construction and accepts or rejects the end product. Thus, the end-result specification places the entire responsibility for quality control on the contractor. A completely statistically oriented end-result specification should include lot size, point of sampling, method of random sampling, number of samples to be taken on each lot, method of test, target value of measured characteristic, realistic tolerances and the action to be taken if quality requirements are not met.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/05475570
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice
- Issue Number: 38
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0547-5570
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Construction; Construction management; Sampling; Specifications; Statistical analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction specifications; End result specifications
- Subject Areas: Construction; Data and Information Technology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00149497
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Apr 23 1996 12:00AM