ANGUS L. MACDONALD BRIDGE - THIRD LANE PROJECT

The Agnus L. Macdonald and A. Murray MacKay Suspension Bridges spanning Halifax Harbour are owned and operated by the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission. The Macdonald Bridge was opened to traffic in 1955 and consisted of suspended main and side spans totalling 762 m, plus approach spans of 437 m in Dartmouth and 148 m in Halifax. By the early 1990s, the concrete deck on the approach spans of the Macdonald Bridge had deteriorated and would require replacement. The paper provides detailed information on the extensive work done to add a third lane on the bridge, as determination was made that increase in traffic required an increased capacity for the bridge. The work was completed and the bridge now provides about 100% more capacity in the principal travel direction.

Language

  • English

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00799152
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Sep 11 2000 12:00AM