IN-VEHICLE SIGNING FOR SCHOOL BUSES AT RAILROAD-HIGHWAY GRADE CROSSINGS - EVALUATION REPORT
The Minnesota Department of Transportation, 3M, and Dynamic Vehicle Safety Systems have developed an in-vehicle signing system to alert drivers of potentially dangerous railroad crossing situations. In this project the in-vehicle signing system was installed in 29 school buses in Glencoe, Minnesota. The system was operational for the 1997/1998 school year. The system was initially installed at signalized railroad crossings but the test was later expanded to evaluate the technology for use at unsignalized or passive crossings. This report evaluates the impact of the system and the performance of the system's technology.
- Record URL:
St Paul, MN United States 55155
- Publication Date: 1998-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: At grade intersections; Driver information systems; Evaluation; Motor vehicles; Railroad grade crossings; Railroads; School bus drivers; School buses; Signalized intersections; Signs; Technology; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Unsignalized intersections
- Uncontrolled Terms: In-vehicle signing
- Geographic Terms: Minnesota
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00801958
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Nov 1 2001 12:00AM