Imagine you live in a city free of the noise, stench and danger of cars, trucks and buses. Imagine all you needs, from groceries to child care, are within a five-minute walk of your home. Imagine that the longest commute within your city takes 35 minutes from door to door, by way of a cheap, safe and efficient public transportation system. This is precisely the future that the author envisions in this book, which unapologetically argues that modern car usage is an example of technology that has been inappropriately applied - and that time has come to reclaim city streets for human activity. Working from the position that the car free city is the cornerstone of sustainable development, the author outlines a city structure carefully designed to maximize the quality of life for individuals and communities worldwide, gives practical suggestions for gradually implementing the reference design in existing cities, and for creating new ones. In the face of a society that seems to unquestionably accept the deterioration of our modern quality of life, this book is a beacon of sanity that offers a starting place to discuss practical solutions to the danger, pollution and breakdown of social systems which are a direct results of autocentrism.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9057270374
International BooksAlexander Numankade 17
3572 KP Utrecht, Netherlands
- Crawford, J H
- Publication Date: 2000
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 324 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Buses; Cities; City planning; Communities; Commuting; Noise; Odors; Pollution; Public transit; Quality of life; Rail transit; Safety; Shopping; Social benefits; Sustainable development; Trucks; Walking
- Uncontrolled Terms: Autocentrism; Car free cities; Child care
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Motor Carriers; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00803656
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 9057270374
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 21 2001 12:00AM