INVESTIGATION OF MULTI-BEAM BRIDGES. LABORATORY TESTS AND ANALYSIS
The analysis of multi-beam bridges and the behavior of such bridges under concentrated loads has been the subject of a long theoretical and empirical study at Lehigh University. This report is the third in a series of studies. The first study dealt with the deflection of a typical multi-beam bridge and the second was a theoretical study. Some questions still remained to be resolved and it was decided to build a laboratory bridge to be tested with the following objectives: (1) to examine the correlation of the theory and the actual behavior of the bridge; (2) to determine the effects of deviations from the simplifying assumptions of the theory; (3) to determine the influence of degree of lateral post-tensioning, location of lateral post-tensioning, location of the external load, interaction of shear keys, and slip between adjacent beam; and (4) to find practical means of providing an efficient interaction between adjacent beams.
Lehigh UniversityFritz Engineering Laboratory
Bethlehem, PA United States 18015
- Walther, R E
- Publication Date: 1956-8
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Bending; Bridges; Laboratory tests; Lateral supports; Load transfer; Modulus of elasticity; Plate girder bridges; Stiffness
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00803370
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Progress Report 14,, Fritz Lab. Rpt. 223.14
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 8 2001 12:00AM