THE RURAL TRANSPORTATION NETWORK IN TEXAS - SUMMARY REPORT
An efficient multimodal transportation system is critical to the economic vitality of large metropolitan areas, smaller communities, and rural areas. While transportation issues in urban areas receive a good deal of attention, the needs of rural areas are also important. This report summarizes the results of a research project examining the rural transportation system in Texas. The demographic and economic characteristics of the state's rural population are highlighted. The report also presents a multimodal approach to enhance mobility and economic development in rural parts of Texas. Researchers examine the status of highways, roadways, public transit services, intercity buses, airports, and railroads serving rural portions of the state and discuss future needs.
- Record URL:
- Research project title: Role of the Rural Transportation Network in Texas and the Impact of Funding Levels.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Turnbull, K F
- Dresser, G B
- Higgins, L L
- Publication Date: 1999-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Demographics; Economic development; Economics; Intercity bus lines; Mobility; Multimodal transportation; Railroads; Rural areas; Rural highways; Rural transit; Rural transportation
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00800219
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-00/1437-S,, Rept 1437-S, TTI: 0-1437,, Project Summary
- Contract Numbers: Project No. 0-1437
- Files: NTL, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 2000 12:00AM