COMPARISON OF STANDARD AND DEEP BRIDGE DECK OVERLAY PERFORMANCES
This report compares the performance of deep and standard bridge deck overlays on three structures after six years of service. The bridges cross over I-75 in Saginaw County and have light average daily traffic (1000 to 2000 vehicles per day). An inspection of the evaluated structures showed cracking on the deep overlays occurred predominantly in the joint areas, while the standard overlay had random cracking over the majority of the deck. Shear tests on the bonded surface between the overlay and the existing deck showed good bonding strength on both the deep and standard overlays. Overall, the deep overlays performed better than the standard overlay, but this study was limited.
Lansing, MI United States 48909
- Beck, B D
- Publication Date: 1999-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Bond strength (Materials); Bridge decks; Cracking; Joints (Engineering); Overlays (Pavements); Performance; Shear tests; Thickness
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00800203
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Research Report R-1368
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 13 2000 12:00AM