ONE STEP AHEAD - ISSUE TWO
In the UK, the number of children injured in road accidents rises rapidly after their first birthday until they are aged about 12 years. As road accidents are a major cause of death and injury for children, this article shows how to protect them and start teaching them safe behaviour from an early age. It gives specific pieces of advice about walking, cycling, and travelling by car. It includes a table of children injured and killed in UK road accidents in 1998, for each of the ages 0 to 4, for pedestrians/cyclists and for motor vehicle occupants. Although young children love to go out for walks, they should be protected by good safety restraints and taught some elements of road safety. Any child carried on bicycles by parents or other adults should have an adequate child seat with a secure harness and should wear a properly fitted cycle helmet. Most road accidents to children aged one to two occur when they are travelling as passengers in cars. For each child in a car, the child seat should be correctly fitted and used on every journey; the child should be correctly harnessed in the seat. Child locks should be fitted, and only doors on the pavement side should be opened. Children should not be left alone in cars.
LIFECYCLE MARKETING LTDCD HOUSE, 1-3 MALVERN ROAD
MAIDENHEAD, BERKSHIRE United Kingdom SL6 7QY
- Publication Date: 1999
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Automobiles; Bicycles; Charts; Children; Crash rates; Cyclists; Education; Fatalities; Injuries; Pedestrians; Prevention; Safety; Seats; Vehicle occupants; Walking
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1661: Accident prevention; 1612: Accident rate; 1757: Age; 1211: Bicycle; 1243: Car; 6486: Chart; 1758: Child; 1742: Cyclist; 2284: Education; 1602: Fatality; 2163: Injury; 1733: Pedestrian; 1665: Safety; 1388: Seat (veh); 8119: United Kingdom; 1715: Vehicle occupant; 758: Walking
- Subject Areas: Passenger Transportation; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00799601
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Oct 6 2000 12:00AM