RAILTRACK - DELIVERING RAIL'S REVIVAL
This supplement outlines aspects of Railtrack's policy to improve rail infrastructure in the UK, reports interviews with some of its senior staff, and gives examples of how this policy is being delivered in London, Manchester and Leeds. Since its creation, Railtrack has been moving to operate under private sector rules. Its next regulatory review by the Rail Regulator could mean a stricter regime or additional investment incentives. Good progress is being made with Railtrack's Station Regeneration Programme, due to the cooperation of its contractors. A new working party is applying lateral thinking to cut the cost of construction access platforms. Railtrack is endeavouring to improve its safety record by updating performance and incident reporting processes and standardising working methods, but a government review is considering taking responsibility for safety away from Railtrack. Railtrack is to take a more direct approach to managing its maintenance contractors. It is still attempting to achieve efficiencies in its massive investment programme. It is attempting to contribute to the development of an integrated transport system for the UK.
EMAP CONSTRUCT LIMITED151 ROSEBERY AVENUE
LONDON, United Kingdom EC1R 4QX
- Publication Date: 1998
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Contractors; Federal government; Improvements; Investments; Organizations; Persons with disabilities; Policy; Private enterprise; Public transit; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Teams; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Workshops
- Uncontrolled Terms: Integrated transportation systems
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 136: Contractor; 1726: Disabled person; 183: Government (national); 9108: Improvement; 1176: Integration (transport); 227: Investment; 9057: Organization (association); 173: Policy; 9118: Private; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 8119: United Kingdom; 313: Urban area; 9090: Working group
- Subject Areas: Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00799591
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Oct 6 2000 12:00AM