PRESENTING HAZARD WARNING INFORMATION TO DRIVERS USING AN ADVANCED TRAVELER INFORMATION SYSTEM. SUMMARY REPORT
This summary report presents some key results of a project to develop a precise and detailed set of preliminary human factors design guidelines for Advanced Traveler Information System (ATIS) and Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) devices. A key subsystem of ATIS will be the In-Vehicle Safety Advisory and Warning System (IVSAWS), which will provide warnings of unsafe roadway conditions and situations affecting the driver. The following questions are addressed: What is hazard warning information? How should hazard warning information be presented to drivers? How is hazard warning information used by drivers? How will commercial drivers benefit?
- Record URL:
Federal Highway AdministrationTurner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 6300 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Publication Date: 1997-2
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Advanced traveler information systems; Commercial drivers; Commercial vehicle operations; Design; Guidelines; Hazards; Human factors; Information display systems; Warning devices; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Auditory display mode; Visual display mode
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00798962
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-96-183
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 19 2000 12:00AM