ROAD TRAFFIC IMPACT ON AIR QUALITY NEAR MAJOR INTERSECTIONS IN BANGALORE CITY - INDIA
An attempt has been made to assess the air pollution concentrations from road traffic. Traffic flows and air pollution concentrations of CO, NOx, SO2 and SPM were measured concurrently with vehicle speed and wind speed, during morning peak traffic hours from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm during from June to December 2001. Traffic flows were measured continuously during the morning peak traffic hours by video-technique at twelve major intersections and air pollutant levels were measured at the height of 3m from the road surface and analyzed in the Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Mobile Laboratory. From the statistical analysis, it is evident that the air pollutant concentration levels are closely related to the traffic flow and average vehicle speed and the relationships between the air pollutant concentrations and the traffic flow and average vehicle speed. It is evident that the traffic-generated air pollution in the study intersections were high and it may be attributed to the interrupted flow of traffic near the intersections due to frequent 'stop' and 'go' situations.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/087659229X
- Full conference proceedings available on CD-ROM.
ARRBMelbourne, Victoria Australia
- Mahendra, S P
- Krishnamurthy, R
- Proceedings of the 21st ARRB and 11th REAAA Conference. Transport. Our Highway to a Sustainable Future
- Location: Cairns, Australia
- Date: 2003-5-18 to 2003-5-23
- Publication Date: 2003
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- Publication of: ARRB Transport Research, Limited
- Publisher: ARRB
- ISSN: 0158-0728
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Intersections; Particulates; Peak hour traffic; Speed; Traffic; Traffic flow; Vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Vehicles and Equipment; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00964456
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 087659229X
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 28 2003 12:00AM