MEASURES TO ALLEVIATE TRAFFIC CONGESTION IN METROPOLITAN DHAKA
This paper presents some measures to reduce the traffic congestion on the primary arterials of the metropolitan Dhaka. The measures suggested are based on the travel time and traffic volume data collected at twenty-eight different points on two primary arterials of Dhaka City. While one of the study arterials was serving both motorized and non-motorized traffic, the other one served only motorized traffic. The data collected at the study sites were used to formulate speed and delay models, which were functions of traffic volume, effective roadway width, percentage of non-motorized vehicles, and presence of mid-block uncontrolled random pedestrian crossings. The measures to reduce traffic congestion that were analyzed in this study were: (1) removing the slow moving non-motorized transports, reducing the number of three wheelers, and consequently introducing more buses to meet up the demand; and (2) restricting the mid-section random pedestrian crossings along with the measures stated in number 1 above. The results indicated that the traffic operating conditions on these two urban arterials could be significantly improved if the measures were implemented. A large number of sections, which have a current LOS of E, were expected to operate at an increased LOS of C. Because of the removal of non-motorized transports like rickshaws, the average travel speeds on these roadways were likely to increase from a current low of 17 km/h to as high as 30 km/h. Moreover, the study results indicated that the delays experienced by the road users could be reduced by more than 50% if the measures considered in this study were implemented.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/087659229X
- Full conference proceedings available on CD-ROM.
ARRBMelbourne, Victoria Australia
- Hasan, T
- Proceedings of the 21st ARRB and 11th REAAA Conference. Transport. Our Highway to a Sustainable Future
- Location: Cairns, Australia
- Date: 2003-5-18 to 2003-5-23
- Publication Date: 2003
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- Publication of: ARRB Transport Research, Limited
- Publisher: ARRB
- ISSN: 0158-0728
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Data collection; Implementation; Level of service; Measurement; Metropolitan areas; Traffic; Traffic congestion; Traffic volume
- Geographic Terms: Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00964329
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 087659229X
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 9 2003 12:00AM