VISCOSITY IN HIGH PERFORMANCE BINDERS AND ITS CONTRIBUTION TO ASPHALT DEFORMATION CONTROL
Australia has a warm to hot climate south and has a tropical climate in the northern regions. A consequence of this environment has been the need to control asphalt deformation through binder specification development. Identifying performance and defining binder properties contributes to the control of asphalt deformation and has been the subject of a variety of research programs. This has resulted in the development of binder testing equipment designed to measure the flow and deformation characteristics of modified binders, including polymer and crumb rubber modified binders (PMBs) at temperatures representative to the most demanding service conditions. This paper describes recent research developments where viscosity and related properties have been identified as effective controls for asphalt deformation across the full spectrum of Australian binders. Arguments are presented in the paper to support the choice of viscosity as a key specification property. Analytical tools for the derivation of viscosity related properties for the more complex PMBs are also described. Several significant industry initiated studies have been undertaken in order to investigate the relationship between asphalt deformation and current Australian binder specification properties. The analysis of these data sets are presented and they provide a strong case for the adoption of viscosity as the primary specification property for asphalt deformation control.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/087659229X
- Full conference proceedings available on CD-ROM.
ARRBMelbourne, Victoria Australia
- TREDREA, P F
- Proceedings of the 21st ARRB and 11th REAAA Conference. Transport. Our Highway to a Sustainable Future
- Location: Cairns, Australia
- Date: 2003-5-18 to 2003-5-23
- Publication Date: 2003
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- Publication of: ARRB Transport Research, Limited
- Publisher: ARRB
- ISSN: 0158-0728
- TRT Terms: Asphalt pavements; Binders; Control; Crumb rubber; Deformation; High performance concrete; Polymer fibers; Polymers; Specifications; Temperature; Viscosity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; I31: Bituminous Binders and Materials;
- Accession Number: 00964310
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 087659229X
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 9 2003 12:00AM