This session seeks to establish by means of informal contributions and discussions, the state of the art of the subject and the areas in which research and development are needed. The need is indicated for work in defining and classifying common pedogenic materials, the mode of origin and nature of the parent soil, the chemical and numeralogical composition, age or relative maturity, prospecting methods, engineering properties and test methods, use, performance and specifications. Written contributions include a description of practical work on the Sabkhas (carbonate sand containing different proportions of evaporitic minerals) in the salt flats of Arabia; and Portuguese studies on laterites. Comments are made on lateritic soil, laterite, ferricrete, and calcrete soils, and on the fundamental factors controlling engineering properties.
- This document was reprinted from: Proceedings of the Sixth Regional Conference for Africa on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Durban, South Africa, September 1975, Volume 1.
National Institute for Road Research, South AfricaP.O. Box 395
Pretoria, Transvaal, South Africa
- Netterberg, F
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: p. 291-295
- TRT Terms: Calcretes; Carbonates; Development; Ferrocement; Laterites; Lateritic soils; Properties of materials; Research; Sand; Soils; State of the art studies
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Ferricretes
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Research;
- Accession Number: 00147729
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR 189
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM