OPTIMIZING THE DISSEMINATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF RESEARCH RESULTS: A PRELIMINARY SUMMARY
On May 5, 2003, over 60 transportation professionals from federal, state, city and county agencies, the private sector, and research and educational academia attended a Transportation Research Board workshop to address the process of research dissemination and implementation. The intent of this workshop was to identify useful strategies for ensuring that optimal use is made of research that is conducted. A panel presented three examples of successful and unsuccessful case studies on implementation. Participants were able to ask questions and provide input regarding their own experiences with implementation. Next, the participants divided into five breakout groups for in-depth discussion on the following set of topics: new techniques and methods for sharing preliminary research findings; efficient dissemination of published materials; developing appropriate materials for the implementation of research results; case studies - guidelines for Do's and Don'ts; and identifying barriers to dissemination and implementation. Each focus group was led by a facilitator and given the charge of discussing the topic and reporting back to the full group. This report contains the presentations of the panelists and the summaries of the five focus groups, as presented by a member of each group at the conclusion of the workshop.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Optimizing the Dissemination and Implementation of Research Results
- Location: Washington, D.C.
- Date: 2003-5-5 to 2003-5-5
- Publication Date: 2003-5-5
- Pagination: 55p
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Implementation; Information dissemination; Research; Workshops
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Highways; Research; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00962836
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Sep 10 2003 12:00AM