THE SEARCH FOR INFRASTUCTURE CAPITAL

Examined is the Railway Supply Institute's tax-credit based plan for financing passenger and freight rail projects. The plan was initiated after the analysis of TEA-21 showed that, after highway, aviation and transit programs accounted for 70% of the total federal transportation investment, the remaining 30% was to be divided for all other purposes. Intercity passenger and freight rail quickly recognized that there was very little federal investment left for them. The plan discussed in this article proposes that Congress support formation of a private, non-profit, federally chartered corporation authorized to issue tax credit bonds for capital investment in rail infrastructure not generally eligible for transportation trust fund expenditures under TEA-21. The types of financial support provided by the proposed corporation are reviewed.

  • Availability:
  • Corporate Authors:

    Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation

    345 Hudson Street
    New York, NY  United States  10014
  • Authors:
    • Vantuono, W C
  • Publication Date: 2003-6

Language

  • English

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00960880
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jul 7 2003 12:00AM