ITS IN WORK ZONES: TRAVELER INFORMATION AND A WHOLE LOT MORE
In the world of today we greatly depend on having a reliable, efficient transportation system to move people and goods continuously. Construction and maintenance work zones, while necessary to the long-term viability of our road transportation network, also present challenges to our mobility and safety. The use of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) in work zones can help alleviate some of these impacts. This paper discusses the mobility and safety challenges that work zones present and the various ways that ITS can be used to lessen those impacts. It provides examples of actual applications and their benefits, as well as some overall lessons learned.
- Full Conference Proceedings available on CD-ROM.
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Scriba, T A
- 9th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Date: 2002-10-14 to 2002-10-17
- Publication Date: 2002
- Pagination: 12p
- TRT Terms: Applications; Construction and maintenance; Intelligent transportation systems; Long range planning; Transportation; Traveler information and communication systems; Urban goods movement; Work zone traffic control; Work zones
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00960196
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 2003 12:00AM