ACCURACY OF MOTION-COMPENSATED NEXRAD PRECIPITATION
A number of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aviation weather systems utilize Next Generation Weather Radar (NEXRAD) precipitation products including the Integrated Terminal Weather System (ITWS), Corridor Integrated Weather System (CIWS), Medium Intensity Airport Weather System (MIAWS), and the Weather and Radar Processor (WARP). This report addresses the accuracy of the advected precipitation map as compared to the current NEXRAD precipitation map using 7 MIAWS cases from the Memphis, TN testbed and Jackson, MS prototype. The paper found that the advected precipitation product is significantly more accurate at providing a depiction of the current intensity of the storms as a function of location.
- Document available on CD-ROM and paper only.
Lincoln LaboratoryMassachusetts Institute of Technology
Lexington, MA United States 02173
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Proseus, E A
- Publication Date: 2003-6-26
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Air transportation; Mapping; Precipitation (Meteorology); Radar devices; Storms; Weather forecasting
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00964036
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ATC-312
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 20 2003 12:00AM