GUIDELINES FOR SKID-RESISTANT HIGHWAY PAVEMENT SURFACES
The work is outlined and the findings are summarized of a project to identify and evaluate procedures suitable for implementation that will improve resistance of pavements to polishing and wear caused by conventional and studded tire traffic. The project was also designed to identify innovative procedures for improved wear-resistant and skid- resistant pavements, and evaluate (by experimentation) selected procedures. The ten systems selected as most suitable are: portland cement concrete with sharp, polish-resistant fine aggregate and coarse texture (tined) surface; dense-graded asphaltic concrete with polish-resistant coarse aggregate; open-graded asphaltic concrete with polish-resistant coarse aggregate; gap-graded asphaltic concrete with polish-resistant coarse aggregate; asphaltic concrete with rolled-in, precoated, polish-resistant chips; epoxy-modified asphaltic concrete with polish resistant coarse aggregate; asphalt seal coat with polish-resistant chips; rubberized asphalt seal coat with polish-resistant chips; and sawed longitudinal grooves in existing portland cement concrete. Five descriptive groupings are suggested for the purpose of identifying potentially promising aggregates for the desired level of service. The final report covers the applicable type and condition of pavement, traffic conditions, performance, laboratory and field work, and specifications for materials and construction.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 89
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt concrete; Chippings; Durability; Epoxides; Pavements; Portland cement concrete; Rubberized bitumen; Seal coats; Skid resistance; Studded tires
- Old TRIS Terms: Chips; Epoxy
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00145000
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Feb 1 1977 12:00AM