HIGHWAY ACCIDENT REPORT: FORD EXPLORER SPORT COLLISION WITH FORD WINDSTAR MINIVAN AND JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE ON INTERSTATE 95/495 NEAR LARGO, MARYLAND, FEBRUARY 1, 2002
On February 1, 2002, on interstate 95/495 near Largo, Maryland, a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, traveling northbound, veered off the left side of the roadway, crossed over the median, climbed up a guardrail, flipped over, and landed on top of a southbound 2001 Ford Windstar minivan. Subsequently, a 1998 Jeep Cherokee ran into the minivan. Of the eight people involved in the accident, five adults were fatally injured, one adult sustained minor injuries, and two children were uninjured. The following safety issues were identified in this accident: the accident driver's speed, operating inexperience, and unfamiliarity with the vehicle; the use of a wireless telephone while operating a vehicle; the need for technology to aid vehicle stability; and the adequacy of the existing barrier system. As a result of this accident investigation, the National Transportation Safety Board issued recommendations to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 49 states (exclusion -- New Jersey), the American Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association, and The Advertising Council, Inc. The Safety Board also reiterates Safety Recommendations H-98-12 and -24 to the Federal Highway Administration and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, respectively.
- Record URL:
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 2003-6-3
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Adults; Cellular telephones; Children; Driver experience; Drivers; Fatalities; Highway safety; Injuries; Median barriers; Passengers; Rollover crashes; Speed; Sport utility vehicles; Stability (Mechanics); Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Vans
- Identifier Terms: Ford Explorer; Ford minivan; Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Familiarity with vehicle
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00963130
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB/HAR-03/02
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 29 2003 12:00AM