EFFECTIVE PAVEMENT MARKING MATERIALS AND APPLICATIONS FOR PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE ROADWAYS
This report describes the tasks of a study conducted to identify effective pavement marking materials and application procedures on portland cement concrete (PCC) roadways in Texas. The researchers reviewed relevant literature, reviewed data from the National Transportation Product Evaluation Program (NTPEP), surveyed state departments of transportation, surveyed material manufacturers, and analyzed cost-effectiveness of various materials. Based on findings from the research tasks, the researchers generated a number of recommendations for pavement markings on PCC roadways in Texas, which include: use epoxy materials for long-term applications under the majority of traffic conditions; use preformed tape for long-term applications under very heavy traffic; and use Texas Department of Transportation specification thermoplastic only for short-term applications with low to medium traffic.
- Research Project Title: Evaluation of Pavement Marking Effectiveness.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5080
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Gates, T J
- Hawkins Jr, H G
- Rose, E R
- Publication Date: 2003-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete pavements; Cost effectiveness; Epoxy resins; Industries; Literature reviews; Recommendations; Road marking materials; Road marking tapes; State departments of transportation; Surveys; Thermoplastic materials
- Identifier Terms: National Transportation Product Evaluation Program
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Research; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00962088
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-03/4150-2,, Research Report 4150-2,, TTI: 0-4150
- Contract Numbers: Project No. 0-4150
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 15 2003 12:00AM