TAKING THE TEMPERATURE OF TEA-21: TEN RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PROGRESS
This paper presents recommendations for the reauthorization of the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21), which the authors consider to be one of the most important items of public works legislation ever passed. The inclusion of both grant and penalty provisions in TEA-21 had mixed reviews by the states. In addition, TEA-21 did not provide enough federal funding for research. The paper offers ten recommendations for inclusion in the TEA-21 reauthorization. The recommendations include items in the following areas: budget firewalls, highway safety grants, incentive grants, traffic accident causes, lobbying restrictions, advertising, sanctions or penalties, and the safety planning factor.
- Record URL:
Governors Highway Safety Association750 First Street, NE, Suite 720
Washington, DC United States 20002
- Publication Date: 2003-1
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Advertising; Budgeting; Crash causes; Financing; Grant aid; Highway safety; Incentives; Legislation; Lobbying; Penalties; Recommendations; Research; Safety factors; Sanctions; Traffic crashes
- Identifier Terms: Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00961949
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 18 2003 12:00AM