A BRIGHT IDEA: SPECIFY CONCRETE
Portland cement concrete pavements, pavers and precast elements provide high reflectivity of light, which helps to both save energy and provide safety when used in public spaces. In daylight, the high albedo of portland cement concrete reflects solar heat into the atmosphere, lowering energy consumption and air pollution. At night, road surface reflectance is a significant contributor to the performance of roadway lighting systems. Concrete surfaces can help transportation authorities meet lighting standards using less lighting equipment and lower wattage. Good lighting, coupled with a high-reflective surface, can also increase parking facility security.
Environmental Council of Concrete Organizations5420 Old Orchard Road
Skokie, IL United States 60077-1083
- Publication Date: 2001
- Features: Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete pavements; Energy conservation; Lighting; Parking facilities; Portland cement concrete; Reflectivity; Roads; Safety and security
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Materials; Terminals and Facilities; I32: Concrete;
- Accession Number: 00961797
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 8 2003 12:00AM