SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD: FY 1998/1999/2000/2001 REPORT
The Board has broad economic regulatory oversight of railroads, addressing such matters as rates, service, the construction, acquisition and abandonment of rail lines, carrier mergers, and interchange of traffic among carriers. The Board also has certain oversight of pipeline carriers. and of intercity bus carriers, household goods carriers, motor carriers involved in collective activities or undercharge claims, and water carriers engaged in noncontiguous domestic trade. The Board has discretion to reduce and tailor its regulatory activities, as it finds appropriate, to meet changing transportation environments or individual circumstances, using the broad exemption authority contained in 49 U.S.C. 10502 (rail), 13541 (motor and water), and 15302 (pipeline).
- Record URL:
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 2002-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 116 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Cargo ships; Construction; Ground transportation; Intercity bus lines; Mergers and acquisitions; Motor carriers; Oversight; Pipeline transportation; Railroad transportation; Rates; Regulatory constraints; Water transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Highways; Law; Marine Transportation; Motor Carriers; Pipelines; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00961495
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 6 2003 12:00AM