TESTING THE INTERFACE OF A CAB SIGNALING SYSTEM
The Signal Repetition System (SRS) used in Italian railways provides the driver with information about railway conditions ahead and automatically stops the train if the driver fails to acknowledge signal onsets. Performances of expert drivers using four versions of a SRS visual interface simulated on a CRT screen were compared. The first version of the SRS interface included a horizontal array of light similar to the one currently found in some locomotives. In two other versions, an innovative design was introduced that maintained the horizontal array to contrast rightward and leftward versions. The fourth version combined the innovative design and a vertical array of lights.
- This article is from ADA412433 Europe Chapter of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Meeting.
Trieste UniversityDepartment of Psychology
- Gerbino, W
- Strano, F
- Publication Date: 2002-9-12
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Cab signals; Driver experience; Interfaces; Railroad signaling; Signal processing; Signaling; Workload
- Geographic Terms: Italy
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00960962
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 2003 12:00AM