RESEARCH PROBLEM STATEMENTS
Research problem statements are presented which were identified and developed by 38 committees of the Design and Construction Group (II) of the Transportation miscellaneous statements. The statements which received top priority include those related to the optimum design and use of highway shoulders, dropping freeway lanes, pavement distress and pavement performance, the distribution of wheel loads of highway bridges, and the deflection limitations for bridge structures. Reducing dependence on moisture control on hot mix plant operations, tender mixes, and abrasive resitance, surface durability, and skid resistance of concrete pavements also received priority. Akali-reactive silicones and silicate rocks, contingency cost in construction, expansion joints, nuclear density determination, lime and lime-fly ash stabilization load tests in pile groups, freez-thaw environments, and low volume roads were among further problem areas which received attention. Statements receiving priority by committees include several which range from the design and operation of passing zones, calibration methods for road roughness meters, paint systems for repainting old structural steel and coating new steel, and the evaluation of geophysical methods. Each statement describes the problem, the objectives of the study, current activities in the area, and the degree of urgency associated with it.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- This circular supplements circular 160 dated November 1974 in which 81 priority research needs were identified by 17 of the Group's committees. Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 44 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 179
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Development; Highways; Research; Strategic planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research;
- Accession Number: 00144027
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jul 19 1977 12:00AM