COMPUTER GENERATION OF THE NESTING IN SHIPBUILDING
An important problem relevant to the shipbuilding industry is the one encountered in the nesting process. An operator is given a number of rectangular sheets and an order for a specified number of each of certain types of two-dimensional shapes. The objective is to produce the cutting plans for a flame cutting machine under numerical control in such a way as to minimize the amount of waste produced. A system is presented to generate a tentative layout of the shapes automatically and then to allow interactions by a conversational display unit both to improve the solution and to generate the cutting plans. In particular the paper describes the part of the system concerned with the layout generation.
- Preprints of the IFIP/IFAC/SSI/Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design/City of Gothenburg Scandinavian Joint Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 1976.
North-Holland Publishing Company52 Vanderbilt Avenue
New York, NY United States 10017
- Albano, A
- ORSINI, R
- Preprints of the IFIP/IFAC/SSI/Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design/City of Gothenburg Scandinavian Joint Conference.
- Location: Gothenburg , Sweden
- Date: 1976-6-8 to 1976-6-11
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 381-386
- TRT Terms: Automation; Computers; Control systems; Flame cutting; Metal cutting; Numerical control; Plates (Engineering); Shipbuilding; Shipyards
- Old TRIS Terms: Plate cutting; Plate nesting; Shipyard automation
- Subject Areas: Construction; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00142834
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: North-Holland Publishing Company
- Report/Paper Numbers: Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 15 1976 12:00AM