THE MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR U.S. NAVAL SHIPYARDS, A CONSTANTLY GROWING CAPABILITY
The standard Shipyard Management Information System (Shipyard MIS) in use at the eight United States Naval Shipyards is a computer based system that processes data related to virtually every element of naval shipyard operations. It has had ten years of operation constantly growing and improving along the way. The history of its evolutionary development and implementation is traced and lessons learned as a result thereof are set forth herein. The sixteen applications of the four subsystems of the current system are described together with some management system capabilities developed for use in conjunction with the information system. A five year plan for the redesign of the system to better serve the needs of management, such plan in its early stages, is outlined.
- Preprints of the IFIP/IFAC/SSI Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design/City of Gothenburg Scandinavian Joint Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 8-11, 1976.
North-Holland Publishing Company52 Vanderbilt Avenue
New York, NY USA 10017
- Sisson, J A
- Preprints of the IFIP/IFAC/SSI Computer Applications in the Automation of Shipyard Operation and Ship Design/City of Gothenburg Scandinavian Joint Conference.
- Location: Gothenburg , Sweden
- Date: 1976-6-8 to 1976-6-11
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 235-244
- TRT Terms: Computers; Data processing; Management; Management information systems; Shipbuilding; Shipyards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computer systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Shipyard management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00142828
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: North-Holland Publishing Company
- Report/Paper Numbers: Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 15 1976 12:00AM