MOTORCYCLE HELMET USE LAWS
Motorcycle helmets offer motorcyclists involved in traffic crashes the best protection from head injury. The passage of helmet use laws governing all motorcycle riders is the most effective method of increasing helmet use. NHTSA encourages states to enact legislation to require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Additionally, NHTSA strongly supports comprehensive motorcycle safety programs that include motorcycle helmet usage, rider education, motorcycle operator licensing, and responsible use of alcohol. This fact sheet addresses the topic under the following headings: Key Facts; Legislative Status; Cost Savings; Who Supports Universal Motorcycle Helmet Laws; Information Sources; and Status of State Motorcycle Helmet Use Requirements.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1999-3
- Pagination: 4 p.
- State Legislative Fact Sheet
- Publisher: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- TRT Terms: Alcohol use; Costs; Driver licensing; Education; Head; Injuries; Laws and legislation; Motorcycle crashes; Motorcycle helmets; Motorcyclists; Savings; States; Traffic safety
- Subject Areas: Finance; Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00797177
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-042 849
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 29 2000 12:00AM