ROLE OF COLLECTING AND DISSEMINATING INFORMATION
This paper describes some of the many ways in which driver and passenger information can be collected and disseminated, with special reference to the activities of the ROMANSE project in the English city of Southampton. Static information includes timetables and the use of historical records on which travellers can base their current decisions. Much more useful is dynamic information, which includes regularly updated network information and may also include short-term forecasting. A wide range of information sources is available, all of which aim to supply the most accurate and relevant information at the time. Information may be provided pre-trip at various places through various media. It can be provided for drivers en route, especially by variable message signs (VMS). The ROMANSE (ROad MANagement System for Europe) project began in 1992 as part of a wider European project. It is a partnership led by local authorities, and uses a core strategic information system, significantly supported by a geographical information system (GIS) used for presentation. Its telematics applications to public transport include TRIPLANNER terminals, variable message sign (VMS) information at bus stops, and an Internet Web site with information on all modes. The VMS are used for parking guidance and traffic and network information. For the covering abstract see ITRD E105245.
PTRC Education and Research Services LimitedGlenthorne House, Hammersmith Grove
London W6OL9, England
- MacDonald, M
- Publication Date: 1998
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Communications; Conferences; Data collection; Driver information systems; Forecasting; Geographic information systems; Internet; Local government agencies; Partnerships; Passenger information systems; Public transit; Real time control; Real time data processing; Telematics; Traveler information and communication systems; Urban areas; Variable message signs
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 9098: Communication; 8525: Conference; 8623: Data acquisition; 8763: Driver information; 132: Forecast; 8605: Geographical information system; 8585: Internet; 192: Local authority; 219: Partnership; 8786: Passenger information; 744: Public transport; 8679: Real time; 8755: Telematics; 8119: United Kingdom; 313: Urban area; 574: Variable message sign
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00794942
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jul 7 2000 12:00AM