This paper presents the development of the Company TravelWise scheme in the English City of Birmingham. It focuses on the benefits of affiliating to the scheme, the service that affiliated companies receive, and the type and nature of the participating companies. In September 1997, Birmingham City Council launched its draft transport strategy 'Visions', which further developed the policies of the 1993 Unitary Development Plan. Visions was produced after extensive consultation, where the city's businesses were invited to express their concerns and wishes for its transport network; they were also invited to present their thoughts to a transport panel. The City Council then launched its TravelWise campaign with four new initiatives, all an important part of Visions, including Company TravelWise, which built on good employer practice in the UK and Europe. To encourage other businesses, it was necessary to establish it wholeheartedly within the City Council. Company TravelWise in Birmingham as a five-year plan period, and in the long term aims to reduce car commuting within the city by 10%. It aims to supply knowledge and expertise, to advise and guide local organisations on how they can help to reduce traffic congestion, especially in relation to employee travel. The paper discusses its implementation, benefits, and future. For the covering abstract see ITRD E105245.
PTRC Education and Research Services LimitedGlenthorne House, Hammersmith Grove
London W6OL9, England
- EASTMAN, C
- Publication Date: 1998
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Conferences; Expert evidence; Local government agencies; Networks; Organizations; Policy; Public participation; Publicity; Transportation; Urban areas; Work trips
- Uncontrolled Terms: Decreases; Guidance; Traffic relief; Transportation networks
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1243: Car; 8525: Conference; 9009: Decrease; 1528: Expert opinion; 9104: Guidance; 621: Journey to work; 192: Local authority; 1054: Network (traffic); 9057: Organization (association); 173: Policy; 142: Public participation; 8573: Publicity; 631: Traffic relief; 1155: Transport; 8119: United Kingdom; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Policy; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00794940
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jul 7 2000 12:00AM