COME-BACK FOR HISTORIC COVERED BRIDGE

During the development of Northwest Ohio, many streams were spanned with wooden bridges due to the abundance of timber. These bridges, some lasting over 140 years, were originally covered to protect the supporting timbers. In 1961, the Ohio Historical Society published a brochure depicting the 227 covered bridges remaining in the entire state. As of 1961, however, only 3 covered bridges remained in Northwest Ohio. This article describes the rebuilding of a covered bridge in Lockport, Ohio, on the site of the original structure, built in 1919, that was deemed to be in poor condition in 1994. The new Lockport Bridge, a historic and aesthetic landmark, opened in June 1999 at a final cost of $1.7 million.

  • Availability:
  • Corporate Authors:

    Public Works Journal Corporation

    200 South Broad Street
    Ridgewood, NJ  United States  07451
  • Publication Date: 2000-6

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Features: Photos;
  • Pagination: p. 34-36
  • Serial:

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00794520
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jun 14 2000 12:00AM