PEDESTRIAN SAFETY TOOLKIT
In 1995, the Secretariat Initiative for Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety was created, as a national effort developed to promote walking and bicycling as safe, efficient, and healthy ways to travel. The Initiative's Year 2000 goads included: reducing by 10%, the number of injuries and fatalities occurring to bicyclists and pedestrians; and doubling the national percentage of transportation trips (from 7.9% to 15.8%) made by bicycling and walking. One of the three components of the Initiative is "Toolkit" of resource materials that states and communities can use to achieve their pedestrian safety goals and programs. Tools are organized by target groups, and contain information about existing enforcement, engineering, and education programs, plus outreach and technical assistance programs. The Toolkit contains a video compilation of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration/Federal Highway Administration/Federal Railroad Administration (NHTSA/FWHA/FRA) pedestrian safety videos; an interactive CD-ROM of pedestrian resources with subject-to-subject cross referencing; a user manual that explains how to "build" effective pedestrian safety programs; a resource manual that references NHTSA, FHWA, and FRA materials; and a variety of sample materials.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1999-1
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycle travel; Bicycling; Cyclists; Education; Engineering; Fatalities; Injuries; Multimedia; Pedestrian safety; Public information programs; Safety programs; Traffic law enforcement; Traffic safety; Videotapes; Walking
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Federal Highway Administration; U.S. Federal Railroad Administration; U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Resource materials (Information)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00798283
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 825
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 19 2000 12:00AM