SUMMARY REPORT ON U.S. TRUCK SALES, 1986-1997
This report documents the changes in truck sales between 1986 and 1997, with primary emphasis on trucks under 10,000 lb GVWR. The report is based on U.S. truck sales as reported in the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association RS-3S reports. Truck sales have increased every year since 1992. The largest increase in the overall period, 1986 through 1997, is for trucks under 6,000 lb GVWR, an increase of nearly 78%. The increases for 6,000 to 10,000 and over 10,000 lb GVWR are 41% and 54%, respectively. Comparison of lighter to heavier trucks within the 0-10,000 lb GVWR group, shows larger increases for the lighter group in all categories but utility vehicles. In general, increases in utility vehicle sales are substantially greater than increases for any other vehicle type. Utility sales increases account for much of the overall increase in light truck sales. Increases in sales of 4-wheel drive vehicles also account for substantial parts of the overall increases, with both utility vehicles and larger pickups sold with the 4-wheel drive features. Over the period from 1986 to 1997, the growth in sales of 2-wheel vans has been driven by small vans, with most of the growth prior to 1994. Since then the sales of these vehicles has leveled off. Throughout the period, there has been no growth in sales of large 2-wheel drive vans and the sales appear to be decreasing since 1994. Sales of small 4-wheel drive vans did not exist before 1990. Sales of these vehicles have been about the same each year, since their introduction.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- STEWART, G R
- Publication Date: 2000-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Four wheel drive; Heavy duty trucks; Light trucks; Medium trucks; Pickup trucks; Sales; Trucks; Utility vehicles; Vans
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment; I90: Vehicles;
- Accession Number: 00797061
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-043 093
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 29 2000 12:00AM