TOWARDS A BALANCE WITH NATURE - HIGHWAYS AGENCY ENVIRONMENTAL STRATEGIC PLAN
This document presents the revised version of the 1996 environmental strategic plan of the UK's Highways Agency (HA). In HA's redefined role as a road network operator, the HA must not only 'live with roads' but also work with others to pursue the best use of roads and the use of non-road alternatives. It cannot deliver its plan alone, but needs to work in partnership with the community. The HA's new environmental plan has been developed within the framework of the Government's integrated transport policy, as formulated from 1998. By applying the plan, the HA will make important contributions to protecting and enhancing the environment through proper management of the motorway and trunk road network. The document presents the relevant issue, objective and proposed actions for each of the following aspects of its plan: (1) monitoring the HA's performance, including the development of a series of environmental performance indicators; (2) procurement; (3) working with organisations and people; (4) promoting biodiversity and variety in rural wildlife; (5) air emissions management; (6) noise management; (7) new solutions for effective waste management; (8) water management to balance roads and environment; (9) landscape and townscape, viewing roads from the traveller's perspective; and (10) national heritage.
HIGHWAYS AGENCYST CHRISTOPHER HOUSE
SOUTHWARK STREET, LONDON United Kingdom SE1 OTE
- Publication Date: 2000
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Ecosystems; Environmental protection; Federal government; Freeways; Highways; Networks; Noise; Partnerships; Planning; Policy; Pollutants; Roads; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Water
- Uncontrolled Terms: Integrated transportation systems; Road networks
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 2466: Ecosystem; 2442: Emission; 2444: Environment protection; 183: Government (national); 2755: Highway; 1176: Integration (transport); 2748: Main road; 2752: Motorway; 2492: Noise; 1144: Operations (transp network); 219: Partnership; 143: Planning; 173: Policy; 1053: Road network; 8119: United Kingdom; 4355: Water
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00795207
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jul 7 2000 12:00AM