IS LOCAL ROAD MAINTENANCE AND REHABILITATION FUNDING AND PRACTICE MEETING THE COMMUNITY'S NEEDS?
The paper presents the methodology and preliminary outcomes of an Austroads National Strategic Research Program (NSRP) Project that assessed the community's expectations of levels of service on local roads. The project achieved the following: (1) estimated an objective assessment of the community's expectations of levels of service; (2) estimated what these expectations mean in terms of the annual maintenance and rehabilitation expenditure needed to achieve the lowest pavement life-cycle cost; and (3) compared samples of the current annual maintenance and rehabilitation on local roads with the annual maintenance and rehabilitation expenditure needed to achieve the lowest pavement life-cycle cost. The latter comparison was made on a plot of expenditure against level of service for the local roads sampled and provided a preliminary assessment of whether maintenance and rehabilitation funding is adequate, in lifecycle cost terms, in meeting the community's expectations of levels of service. (a) For the covering entry of this conference, please see IRRD abstract no. E200331.
INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC WORKS ENGINEERING AUSTRALIA447 KENT STREET
SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES Australia 2000
- MARTIN, T
- Publication Date: 1999-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- Monograph Title: The International Congress on Local Government Engineering and Public Works, incorporating the 10th National Local Government Engineering Conference: Sydney, Australia, 22-26 August 1999: conference proceedings
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Costs; Durability; Level of service; Local government; Maintenance; Management; Pavements; Perception; Public participation; Roads; Smoothness
- Geographic Terms: Australia
- ITRD Terms: 155: Administration; 8006: Australia; 8525: Conference; 224: Cost; 5910: Durability; 3071: Evenness; 2755: Highway; 653: Level of service; 192: Local authority; 3847: Maintenance; 2955: Pavement; 2229: Perception; 142: Public participation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00792878
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ITRD, ATRI
- Created Date: May 31 2000 12:00AM