TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS HANDBOOK
This handbook, which was developed in recognition of the need for the compilation and dissemination of information on advanced traffic control systems, presents the basic principles for the planning, design, and implementation of such systems for urban streets and freeways. The presentation concept and organization of this handbook is developed from the viewpoint of systems engineering. Traffic control studies are described, and traffic control and surveillance concepts are reviewed. Hardware components are outlined, and computer concepts, and communication concepts are stated. Local and central controllers are described, as well as display, television and driver information systems. Available systems technology and candidate system definition, evaluation and implementation are also covered. The management of traffic control systems is discussed. Appndices are included which provide information on: freeway origin- destination study, freeway input-output studies, acceleration noise-mean velocity gradient, travel time and delay, measures of the quality of traffic service, information sources, costs checklist, costs of freeway ramp metering systems, and costs of selected urban street traffic control systems.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-1-31
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 650 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Data processing; Driver information systems; Freeways; Handbooks; Origin and destination; Ramp metering; Ramps (Interchanges); Systems engineering; Television; Traffic control; Traffic noise; Traffic surveillance; Travel time; Urban highways
- Old TRIS Terms: Freeway ramps; Traffic control systems
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00149910
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 27 1977 12:00AM