EFFECTIVE CITIZEN PARTICIPATION IN TRANSPORTATION PLANNING, VOLUME II, A CATALOG OF TECHNIQUES
This report is a guide for those actively engaged in organizing or monitoring citizen participation in transportation planning. It identifies and describes 37 major techniques for citizen participation and relates them to the appropriate steps in the transportation planning process, which is divided into 19 sequential steps beginning with the initial inventory and concluding with the evaluation of the completed facility. Among others, the techniques include: Advocacy Planning, Charrette, Citizen Advisory Committees, Hotlines, Surveys, and Workshops. The techniques are presented alphabetically in a standard format: description, positive features, negative features, potential for resolving issues, program utilization, costs, and biliography. Some techniques are from areas other than transportation planning, some have been used only experimentally, and some have been formulated only theoretically. The techniques have been classified by function as Information Dissemination, Information Collection, Initiative Planning, Reactive Planning, Decision- making, and Participation Process Support. Eight case studies either illustrate use of combinations of techniques on the regional, corridor, and design level or focus on individual techniques. The research included a literature survey of 11 functional planning areas, such as model cities or water resources, and visits to each case study site. /Author/
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
- Jordan, D
- Arnstein, S
- GRAY, J
- Metcalf, E
- Torrey, W
- Mills, F
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 308 p.
- TRT Terms: Advisory groups; Advocacy groups; Case studies; Data collection; Information dissemination; Public participation; Reviews; Surveys; Transportation planning; Workshops
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00149586
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/SES-76/10 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8514
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM