EVALUATION OF TECHNIQUES FOR THE CONTROL OF DIRECT ACCESS TO ARTERIAL HIGHWAYS
This research is part of an overall effort to develop cost effective techniques for direct access control that will optimize traffic operational efficiency and safety subject to providing sufficient and suitable access to commercial properties on arterial highways. The research involved (1) a preliminary evaluation to select feasible and cost- effective candidate techniques, and (2) the development of detailed experimental procedures for evaluating the effectiveness of these candidate techniques. The scope of research was limited to control of direct access to commercial properties on two-lane and multilane highways with unlimited access, where traffic volumes are high enough to produce a hazardous situation. The emphasis was on the control of direct access on existing urban and suburban routes under state highway department jurisdiction. To achieve the stated objectives, the research included the following major tasks: (1) a detailed analysis to identify and functionally classify alternative access control techniques; (2) an extensive state-of-the-art synthesis to evaluate the technical, economic, and legal aspects and the traffic operational effectiveness of alternative access control techniques; and (3) the development of detailed experimental procedures for determining more precise measures of effectiveness for the more promising access control techniques. /Author/
- Sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Midwest Research Institute425 Volker Boulevard
Kansas City, MO United States 64110-2299
- Azzeh, J A
- Thorson, B A
- Valenta, J J
- Glennon, J C
- Wilton, C I
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 407 p.
- TRT Terms: Access control (Transportation); Arterial highways; Cost effectiveness; Highway operations; Multilane highways; Rural highways; State of the art studies; Traffic; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Access control
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00149583
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76- 85 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8121
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM