RAIL TRANSPORTATION REQUIREMENTS FOR COAL MOVEMENT IN 1980
This rail-oriented coal transportation study is one of a series conducted by the Department of Transportation to identify and quantify transportation requirements for energy materials. Information provided by these studies will be used by government and industry to examine and shape present and future transportation policies and related resource allocation decisions. The primary objectives of this study are to develop and present rail industry estimates of the amount of coal that will move by rail in 1980, the additional equipment and facilities required to handle the increased traffic, and the associated lead times involved. Other key report objectives are to describe present coal flows, associated operational policies and practices, and the interfaces with connecting or continuing modes of transportation. When possible, 1974-1980 comparisons for these factors are made to illustrate the magnitude and direction of expected changes in levels of operations, distribution patterns, etc.
- This work was sponsored by the Office of Transportation Energy Policy and the Transportation Systems Center of the U.S. DOT.
Input Output Computer Services IncorporatedCambridge, MA United States
- ANDERSON, J
- Desai, S A
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 256 p.
- TRT Terms: Coal; Coal industry; Fleet management; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Loading and unloading; Open top cars; Operations; Planning; Railroad facility operations; Traffic forecasting; Train operation; Unit trains; Unloading facilities
- Identifier Terms: BNSF Railway; Louisville & Nashville Railroad; Norfolk and Western Railway Company; Southern Railway
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity
- Old TRIS Terms: Fleet planning; Operations planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00149460
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-76-32 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1000
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 27 1977 12:00AM