EVALUATION OF TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES AT INTERSECTIONS OF LOW VOLUME ROADS AND STREETS
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the performance of two-way STOP, YIELD and no control intersections at low volume roads in Indiana. The evaluation parameters included travel time through intersection, number of stops and conflict conditions as well as occurrence of accidents at intersections. In addition, operating costs of vehicles for travelling through different types of controls were also estimated. A total of 53 intersections from different low volume roads were studied. It was observed that the mean travel time through STOP controlled intersections was significantly higher than that through YIELD controlled intersections. Mean travel time through unsigned intersections was significantly less than that through YIELD controlled intersections. It was further observed that on an average 31.4 percent of vehicles failed to stop at STOP controlled intersections. The operating cost through STOP controlled intersections was considerably higher than that through YIELD controlled intersections. However, the difference in operating costs between YIELD and uncontrolled intersections was not significant. On the basis of accident records for the last three years, it was determined that there was no significant difference in the occurrence of accidents in the STOP, YIELD and no control intersections. It appears that much improvement on the productivity of the highway system of Indiana can be achieved by removing STOP signs or changing them to YIELD signs on those low volume intersections where sight distances are adequate. In this way, a considerable reduction in unnecessary time loss, stopping and slowing at intersections can be achieved without affecting intersection safety.
- Prepared as Part of an Investigation conducted by Highway Extension and Research Project for Indiana Counties.
Purdue UniversityTransportation and Urban Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907
- Bandyopadhyay, A K
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 99 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash reports; Low volume roads; Operating costs; Stop signs; Traffic control devices; Travel time; Unsignalized intersections; Yield signs
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00149187
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Rpt. No. CE-TRA-76-2Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 30 1977 12:00AM