THE USE OF A PROXIMITY SENSING SYSTEM FOR AVL
Automatic vehicle location is the location subsystem of AVM, automatic vehicle monitoring. The Hoffman AVM system is the first to meet the need for such a system at a feasible cost. It is a direct proximity signpost system providing reliable geographic coverage at an economical cost. The requirements of an AVM system and the way in which the Hoffman system meets the requirements of all users are described in this paper. The operational theory is set forth in detail. Via a standard mobile radio, the Hoffman vehicle unit transmits vehicle location information to the base station by means of several reporting modes: specific vehicle reporting mode, region reporting modes: specific vehicle reporting mode, region reporting mode, automatic reporting mode, and route reporting mode. To way transmission of status message is also provided from vehicle to base station. Interface with the dispatcher in the Hoffman system is provided through either video map displays or alpha numeric CRT displays. The system has been installed in the Huntington Beach Police Department and is the first AVL/CAD (computer aided dispatch) System in the world. In terms of maintenance and reliability, the Hoffman system is designed for each of maintenance in the event of failure. It is a multi-user system serving both fixed and random route users.
- This paper was presented at Session 33 on Automated Vehicle Location (AVL) Systems at the 1976 Wescon Professional Program, Los Angeles, California, September 14017, 1976.
Hoffman Information Identification, Incorporated4323 Arden Drive
El Monte, CA United States 91734
- Reichardt, O A
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle monitoring; Communication systems; Location; Maintenance; Needs assessment; Radio; Reliability
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Pseudo slab
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00149121
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM