AN EVALUATION OF THE MOVEMENT OF 14-FOOT WIDE MANUFACTURED HOUSING UNITS IN VIRGINIA. A REPORT TO THE GOVERNOR AND GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF VIRGINIA.
In response to House Joint Resolution #41, an evaluation of the movement of 14-foot wide manufactured housing units was conducted on Virginia highways. The purpose of the study was to provide information concerning the transportation characteristics of wide housing units by highway which, along with other data such as economic and societal factors, could be used by decision makers to determine whether or not 14-foot wide units should be allowed on the highways in Virginia. The study was conducted with the guidance of a steering committee composed of representatives of the Housing Study Commission, the Office of Housing, the Highway Safety Division, the Department of State Police, the Division of Motor Vehicles, the Department of Highways & Transportation, and literature review, a questionnaire designed to obtain information on the wide load practices and experience in other states, personal interviews with enforcement and transportation officials in states adjacent to Virginia, an analysis of traffic and safety data collected during the movement of 12- and 14-foot wide housing units on 3,782 miles of Virginia highways, and a motorist opinion survey. Generally, in terms of the safety and convenience of the motoring public no major differences were found between the traffic and safety characteristics of 12-foot units and those of 14-foot units.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation and by the University of Virginia.
Virginia Highway and Transportation Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
- Parker Jr, M R
- Lynn, C W
- Spencer, J A
- Reilly, B J
- Reynolds, J W
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 173 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Decision making; Economic factors; Housings; Mobile homes; Oversize loads; Surveys; Traffic conflicts; Traffic safety
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00149002
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: VHTRC 77-R28
- Files: NTL, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 27 2002 12:00AM