SIMPLIFIED AUTOMATIC COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM
Radar Devices, Inc., under patent license from Maritime Research Group, Ltd., has recently completed evaluation of a simplified automatic collision warning system that is readily adapted to any marine radar. The system employs the use of two variable range gates. The parameters of the gates are displayed on the radar indicator as rings or sectors. The parameters of the sectors are adjustable for various cruising conditions. A radar echo which meets certain criteria of signal amplitude, echo width and persistency, will cause an audio/visual warning. In the more sophisticated application, the unit displays the range and relative bearing on a digital display. Slave Audio/Visual Digital Display Units may be located at remote locations from the Radar Indicator, providing an additional measure of safety. The device serves also as a navigational aid. In the "NAV" mode, the unit provides the functions of a Digital Variable Range Marker and Digital Electronic Cursor. Simplified applications are available for small craft that are fitted with radar. The advantages of the system is its simplicity and low cost, while at the same time providing a positive warning gainst radar echos that may pose a collision threat.
- This paper is part of a Bound Set of Five Volumes - Price - $20.00. RTCM Assembly meeting April 26-27-28, 1976, San Diego, California.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine ServicesWashington, DC USA
- Anderson, L F
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Collision avoidance systems; Navigation radar; Radar
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00148853
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 15 1977 12:00AM