THE EFFECTS OF PARTICIPATION IN A FOUR-SESSION ALCOHOL SAFETY SCHOOL ON THE ATTITUDES OF PERSONS CHARGED WITH DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED
This study seeks to measure changes in attitudes toward driving while intoxicated by the participants in a four-session alcohol safety school. An attitude scale which had been found to discriminate between attitudes held by persons recently charged with driving while intoxicated and those of non-offenders (Breinholt, 1974) was administered twice to an experimental group, at the first and fourth (last) weekly session of the course, respectively. It was also administered at the beginning and end of a similar interval to a control group of DWI offenders, randomly chosen, who did not participate in clinic sessions between administrations. No difference was found in the relative frequencies with which scores changed in classes led by recovered alcoholics and non-alcoholics. Nor were frequencies different between the special classes, focusing on subjects' alcohol problems in general, and the regular classes, focusing on DWI issues. The findings support the hypothesis that DWI offenders who attend the four session alcohol safety school show a change in attitude toward the non-offender norms. They also support the hypothesis that DWI offenders who are problem drinkers hold more extreme attitudes than offenders who are social drinkers.
- This paper was presented at the 5th International Conference of the International Association for Accident and Traffic Medicine, London, September 1-5, 1975.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48109
- Breinholt, R H
- Breslin, J J
- Publication Date: 1975-9-1
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Drunk driving; Problem drivers; Traffic violators
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00148749
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1977 12:00AM