TRANSPORTATION FOR THE ELDERLY AND THE HANDICAPPED IN WISCONSIN: SUMMARY REPORT
A summary of the findings and conclusions of a seven study report are as follows: A specialized transportation industry currently exists to serve the elderly and the handicapped in Wisconsin. These services are characterized by a varying quantity and quality of service daily; unstable funding; high transportation cost; heavy volume on categorical federal and state funds for transportation services; and, uncoordinated service programs which compete for funds, clients and geographical areas to continue their existence. The demand for accessible, low cost transportation by Wisconsin's elderly and handicapped citizens exceeds the existing supply. Inadequate funding to meet operating costs is the most difficult service provision problem. Many barriers exist which limit or prohibit the mobility of the elderly and the handicapped in Wisconsin. These barriers are classified as being economic, educational, institutional, physical, psychological and service oriented in nature. The costs of local and state policy addressing the mobility needs of the elderly and handicapped is a major hinderance to improving their mobility. Lately, additional data must be obtained to assist the State of Wisconsin to address the mobility needs of its elderly and handicapped citizens.
- The preparation of this report was financially aided through a planning grant from the Department of Transportation under the Urban Mass Transportation Administration as authorized by Section 9 of the Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964.
Madison, WI United States 53702
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Costs; Data collection; Federal aid; Mobility; Persons with disabilities; Policy; State aid; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Policy; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00148650
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Summ. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 30 1981 12:00AM