RAIL PLANNING MANUAL. VOLUME I: GUIDE FOR DECISION-MAKERS
This document is specifically written to assist policy-level decision-makers to (1) assess potential of rail problems in the State (2) ascertain roles of key participants in possible solutions (3) define roles for State and local government (4) estimate level-of-effort required in State rail planning; and (5) view the so-called 'situation' in proper context of industry, users, Federal and local areas of concern. With these readers in mind, this volume is divided in four parts, each of which can be reviewed independently. Chapter I gives a broad overview of today's problems in the railroad industry, and resulting issues facing State and local governments. Recent Federal legislation addressing these problems is also described. Chapter II gives a range of alternative State policy responses in the problem areas of light density lines and mainlines. Chapter III describes comprehensively how states become eligible to participate in Federally-assisted local rail service continuation programs. Finally, Chapter IV provides the coordinator of the State Rail Planning program with guidance for getting a program under way. A succeeding Volume III, planned for publication by September 30, 1977, will be developed to assist the planner-technician in detailed state rail planning procedures after the policy-level decision-makers have identified the State's level of interest.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/DOTFRT6052
- Volume I includes a separate, three-section Preliminary Bibliography intended as a supplement to Volume II, Guide for Planners. This work was sponsored by the FRA, Office of State Rail Programs. Oversight and Project Managers, respectively, are: Garold R. Thomas (202- 426-1567) and Norbert Y. Zucker (202-426-1568).
JWK International Corporation7617 Little River Turnpike
Annandale, VA United States 22003
Creighton (Roger) Associates, Incorporated274 Delaware Avenue
Delmar, NY United States 12054
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 56 p.
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Governments; Industry structure; Planning; State departments of transportation; State government; Transportation planning
- Identifier Terms: Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976
- Old TRIS Terms: Government planning; Regional rail reorganization act
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00148595
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- ISBN: DOT-FR-T6052
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-RFA-76-06 Res. Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 15 1977 12:00AM