WAVE EXCITED OSCILLATIONS OF A GRAVITY PLATFORM
The dynamic response of a Condeep platform under transient linear wave excitation is determined by means of the modal method of analysis. The equations of motion for the fundamental torsional and bending modes are derived and solved by numerical step-by-step integration. The wave forces on the towers are obtained from a modification of Morison's formula, and the forces and moments on the base are calculated using the results of wave diffraction theory. In the case of bending oscillations, the effect of foundation flexibility and damping are incorporated by using the results of elastic half-space theory. Results calculated for various values of soil shear modulus are given.
- Prepared for ASME Meeting, Sept 19-24, 1976.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Kirk, C L
- Nataraja, R
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Amplitude (Physics); Excitation; Force; Gravity structures; Offshore structures; Oscillation; Waves
- Old TRIS Terms: Oscillation amplitude; Wave forces on structures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00148551
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Pap N76-Pet-33
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 15 1977 12:00AM