THE DESIGN AND FABRICATION OF HIGH-STRENGTH STEELS
The characteristics of a new range of high-strength, roller-quenched and tempered Nb fine-grained steels are presented. Designated RQT 500, RQT 600 and RQT 700 these steels have been developed by the British Steel Corporation for industrial applications where the reduction of component weight and/or thickness can bring technical and economic benefits. Recommendations are made for the welding of these RQT steels together with an evaluation of welded joint properties using a suitable range of MMA and GMA consumables developed by Phillips Industries. Future development work to allow such steels to be welded using high heat input process such as electrogas, electro-slag and two-pass submerged arc is discussed.
- International Conference on Structural Design and Fabrication in Shipbuilding, London, November 18-20, 1975.
Welding InstituteAbingdon Hall
Cambridge CB1 6AL, England
- Christie, K D
- COBB, J
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Electroslag welding; High strength steel; Joints (Engineering); Shipbuilding steel; Welding; Welds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Weldability; Welded joints
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship steels
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00148501
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 4
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 23 1977 12:00AM