IMPROVEMENT OF MARINE ADVISORIES AND OPTIMUM TRACK SHIP ROUTINGS. VOL I OF III
This report covers the work of the SEA USE Marine Services Development Group undertaken to determine potential benefits that might be derived by the shipping community from improved marine forecasts and optimum track ship routings. It includes a cost/benefit analysis, a review of existing organizations and procedures with recommendations for improvement, a discussion of several procedures that might be pursued in investigating techniques for extending the range and validity of marine forecasts, a review of the need for improved synoptic weather reports from ships at sea including a suggestion for possible improvements and a review of the communication problems in the processing of weather reports and promulgation of forecasts. The results of an experimental marine advisory project conducted during 1975 with two participating tug-barge companies are reviewed and analyzed and recommendations are made for possible improvements in this system. The study concludes the improved marine advisories would be beneficial, the costs of such improved services are warranted, and that they can be developed by improving liaison with the users, formating products to meet their specific requirements and by concentrating on improving communications to and from ships at sea.
- This report is contained in three volumes. This is Volume I of III which contains the basic report and a summary of each Annex. Prepared by SEA USE Marine Services Development Group.
Sea Use Foundation1101 Seattle Tower
Seattle, WA USA 98101
- Publication Date: 1976-1-31
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Fog; Meteorology; Reports; Routing; Ships; Weather forecasting; Weather routing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship routing
- Old TRIS Terms: Meteorological reports
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00148497
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-940-76022 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOC 5-37040
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1977 12:00AM